Test your skills by making a bespoke web map for the Manchester Museum Vivarium!
Create a single, Leaflet map-based web page for the Manchester Frog Blog that is targeted towards educating families about the Manchester Museum Vivarium Collection
You must Submit:
- A ZIP file containing your code and any additional material (images, files etc) uploaded to the relevant Dropbox links below
- A 1,000 word Design Rationale, uploaded to the Turnitin Dropbox on Blackboard
The deadline is:
2pm Thursday 14th March 2019 (week 7)
This assignment is worth 40% of the module credits.
I will be marking your web page based upon the following criteria:
- The design (form, function and creativity) of the website itself
- The adherence of the design to the design goals and rationale
- The neatness and readability of the code
- The elegance and resilience of the code
- The descriptive comments provided with the code, demonstrating justification and an understanding of the approaches used
- The quality of the report
Hints, Tips and Resources
Remember that the goal here is to DESIGN a web page for a particular audience - this should be reflected in the functionality, information and aesthetic (look and feel) of the page.
When designing your web page, you should consider:
- Who the web page is targeted at (the ‘target audience’)
- What information that you want to get across
- How the web map design can be in-keeping with the look and feel of the vivarium exhibition
You can focus either upon a single animal, collection of animals, an environmental issue, or anything else that comes to mind! There are even resources available to help you, such as:
- Images of the Vivarium collection
- Text from the Vivarium exhibition
- GeoJSON datasets for the habitat extents for various animals in the collection
- The existing content of the Frog Blog
- The Story of Sylvia’s Frog (video)
When designing your web page, you should think about which of the skills that you have learned through the course so far ca be used to help with this assignment.
Some of you might also want to have a think about using some techniques that we have not yet covered in class. For ideas, you could have a look at web resources such as:
If you get stuck, remember to use the forum, and good luck!!