Assessment 2. Freestyle Web Design
A quick note about the practicals...
Remember to use Mozilla Firefox to do these practicals. Please do NOT use Microsoft Internet Explorer / Edge, this is not suitable for web development. Coding should be done in Notepad++
You do not have to run every bit of code in this document. Read through it, and have a go where you feel it would help your understanding. If I explicitly want you to do something, I will write an instruction that looks like this:
This is an instruction that tells you something to either think about, or do.
The grand finale!
Produce a targeted website including one or more Leaflet web maps designed to meet a set of self-defined design goals. The website may be intended to collect data, disseminate data, or both.
You must Submit:
- A ZIP file containing your code and any additional material (images, files etc) uploaded to the relevant Dropbox links below
- A 1,000 word Design Rationale, uploaded to the Turnitin Dropbox on Blackboard
The deadline is:
2pm Thursday 16th May 2019 (week 13)
Remember that you also need to submit your Design Rationale on Blackboard!
This assignment is worth 60% of the module credits.
I will be marking your web page based upon the following criteria:
- The design (form, function and creativity) of the website itself
- The adherence of the design to the design goals
- The justification of design decisions in the context of the design goals
- The neatness and readability of the code
- The elegance and resilience of the code
- The descriptive comments provided with the code, demonstrating justification and an understanding of the approaches used
Hints, Tips and Resources
Remember that the goal here is to DESIGN a web page for a particular audience - this should be reflected in the functionality, information and aesthetic (look and feel) of the page.
When designing your web page, you should consider:
- Who the web page is targeted at (the ‘target audience’)
- What information that you want to get across
- How the web map design can support its intended purpose
Some of you might also want to have a think about using some techniques that we have not yet covered in class. For ideas, you could have a look at web resources such as:
If you get stuck, remember to use the forum, and good luck!!